HYDE HALL COVERED BRIDGE
SPANS SHADOW BROOK 1 SPAN
53 FEET LONG
BURR ARCH TRUSS SYSTEM
BUILT: 1825 (OLDEST COVERED BRIDGE IN U.S.A.)
BUILT BY: CYRENUS CLARK, ANDREW ALDEN & LORENZO BATES
GPS: (N 42°, 47.40′), (W 74°, 51.84′)
HYDE HALL NY-39-01
The Hyde Hall Bridge was originally constructed in 1823 and is the oldest surviving bridge in New York State. Built by Master Carpenter Cyrenus Clark, with assistance from local carpenter Andrew Alden and stone mason Lorenzo Bates, it is registered on the National Register of Historic Places as of December 17, 1998.
It is located in the Glimmerglass State Park over the Shadow Brook off County Route 31, south of State Route 20. It is 53 feet long and built with a Burr Arch truss. It is still in its original location and has always been a private bridge.
Directions to the bridge:
From East Springfield on State Route 20, go south on County Route 31 to Glimmerglass State Park. Enter the park (they usually do charge admission) and the bridge is approximately 1/4 mile on your right. There is NO PARKING at the bridge, be prepared to walk a little bit.