BLENHEIM BRIDGE NY-48-01
The historic covered bridge stood proudly over the Schoharie Creek for more than 150 years and was a local treasure which helped put the tiny hamlet of Blenheim on the map until it was destroyed and washed away in the raging flood waters brought by Hurricane Irene. (see photo below)
Click on picture to see larger view
The Blenheim Bridge was built in 1855 by Nicholas Montgomery Powers, it is listed on the National Register of Historic Places as of October 15, 1966.
It is located in the Town of Blenheim on State Route 30 in North Blenheim. It is over the Schoharie Creek and is a "double-barreled" or has two separate lanes. This bridge is used on the NYSCBS Logo as it is the longest single span bridge in the world (at 228 feet) and one of only six remaining bridges in the world with two separated lanes. It is constructed of Long truss with a center arch.
Directions to the bridge: Just off State Route 30 at the north end of North Blenheim