Jay Bridge NY-16-01
Click on picture to see larger view
Jay Bridge was originally built in 1857 by George M Burt. It is listed on the New York State Register of Historic Places and has been approved for the National Register of Historic Places once it is put back across the Ausable River (it is currently setting in a field by the river).
It is located in the Town of Jay, east of State Route 9N on County Route 22 It is the only covered bridge in the Adirondacks, a Howe truss. It was over the east branch of the Ausable River but is being replaced by a new concrete/iron bridge. Many local residents demand its return across the river, there is some debate going on as to the proper location of the return location. It is hoped one day to have the bridge restored and replaced over the river.
Directions to the bridge:
In Jay, turn east at the park. A sign points the way and in a few yards you will come to the bridge in a field.
New photos as of 11-21-06, Photos by Dick Wilson.
Looking MUCH better, now the bridge needs to land securely on the abutments.
These two newest photos by Dave Guay 7-07.
These last four photos are by Dave Guay 10-14-07 at the dedication ceremony.